San Antonio Pedestrian Accidents Attorney
Many people walk from place to place, and while this can be a great form of exercise, it can also be dangerous. Thousands of people are injured in Texas pedestrian accidents every year. Hundreds are killed.
The reason for this is that pedestrians have no protection in the event of a crash. They do not have an enclosure, unlike those inside a vehicle. Therefore, pedestrians can suffer serious injuries if they are involved in an accident.
Pedestrian accidents have many causes, but they can be prevented. Contact the San Antonio lawyers from the Law Office of Raul A. Guajardo, P.L.L.C., for help with your accident case.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can be caused by the following:
- Pedestrians may be distracted by their phones or other electronic devices. This means they may not be fully aware of their surroundings, increasing the risk of accidents. Motorists may also be distracted by texting, talking on the phone, or other activities. This can cause them to hit pedestrians or ignore traffic signs and signals.
- Drivers who exceed speed limits have a harder time slowing down, making it more difficult to avoid accidents with pedestrians.
- Failure to yield. Drivers who do not yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks or intersections increase the risk of accidents.
- Drunk driving. Alcohol or drug impairment significantly impairs a driver's judgment, making them more likely to crash.
- Poor visibility. Darkness, inadequate street lighting, and bad weather can make it harder for drivers to see pedestrians.
- Driver fatigue. Drivers who are overly tired may have slower reaction times and may not be able to concentrate as well, posing a risk to pedestrians.
- Pedestrians who disregard traffic signals and suddenly walk out in front of oncoming traffic can be involved in serious accidents.
- Inadequate infrastructure. Poorly maintained roads, lack of sidewalks, and inadequate pedestrian crossings can contribute to accidents.
Preventing Pedestrian Accidents
As a pedestrian, there is a lot you can do to prevent accidents. Some things include:
- Increase your visibility. Wear bright clothing at night, preferably with reflectors. Also, bring a flashlight with you so drivers can better see you.
- Use crosswalks. If a driver is paying attention, they will look for pedestrians while they approach a crosswalk. Also, most crosswalks contain markings or signs to alert drivers.
- Avoid distractions. Distracted walking can be dangerous for pedestrians. If you are not paying attention, you may walk out into the road or get too close to an oncoming car. Avoid texting or listening to music while out walking.
- Avoid intoxication. Drinking alcohol or using drugs can impair your judgment and motor skills. Many pedestrians are impaired, making accidents more likely to occur.
Contact Our San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Today
Pedestrian accidents can result in catastrophic injuries and even death. If you or a loved one has been involved, work with an experienced lawyer to get compensation, justice, and closure.
Count on the San Antonio pedestrian accident lawyers from the Law Office of Raul A. Guajardo, P.L.L.C., to guide you through the ins and outs of a pedestrian accident. Get started by scheduling a free consultation. Call (210) 510-1111 or fill out the online form.