Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
As an experienced Edinburg motorcycle accident attorney, the Law Office of Raúl Guajardo can assist you in getting the compensation you need.
There are few things that compare to feeling the sun on your back and the wind in your hair as the open road stretches out in front of you. However, while motorcycle riding is a popular hobby in our area, it is important to be aware of the potential dangers. There are numerous factors that can put motorcyclists at risk for serious and potentially life-threatening injuries. At the Law Office Of Raúl Guajardo, P.L.L.C., our Edinburg motorcycle accident attorney has more than 15 years of experience helping victims and their families in these cases and can advise you on how to get the compensation you need to recover.
We Protect You When Motorcycle Accidents and Injuries Occur
Motorcycle accidents are unfortunately common in our area. Due to the open nature of a motorcycle and the lack of protection they offer, these accidents can have serious consequences for riders and their passengers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (DOT), motorcycle accidents injure over 7,000 people each year throughout the state, while claiming the lives of more than 500 others.
When motorcycle accidents and injuries impact you or a loved one, Edinburg attorney Raúl Guajardo provides the aggressive legal representation you need in the aftermath. While you focus on your recovery, we focus on protecting your rights so that you can get the compensation you deserve. Common types of injuries suffered by clients we represent include the following:
- Soft tissue injuries and multiple bone fractures;
- Crushing injuries, causing damage to body organs and internal bleeding;
- Severe cuts, lacerations, and amputations;
- Burn injuries due to contact with road surfaces or hot engine parts and fluids;
- Back and neck injuries, which can include damage to discs, vertebrae, or the spinal cord;
- Head injuries, including concussion and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Get the Compensation You Need to Recover
Even a relatively minor motorcycle accident can leave you suffering significant damages. You may be unable to work while facing the need for ongoing medical care, now and in the years to come. In these situations, our Edinburg motorcycle accident attorney acts as a strong legal advocate on your side, helping to hold those responsible accountable for the damages you suffer. Here are some damages for which you can receive compensation:
- Motorcycle repairs and loss. If you were involved in a motorcycle crash, then your bike was likely damaged to some extent. The good news is that you can receive compensation for property damage. If your bike can be repaired cheaply, then the insurance company will pay for the repairs. However, if the repairs exceed the value of the motorcycle, then the insurance company will likely declare it a total loss. This means you will receive compensation for the fair market value of the bike.
- Medical bills. Any medical expenses incurred due to your motorcycle accident can be claimed. This includes past, present, and future expenses. Emergency medical treatment, medication, surgeries, lab tests, medical devices, and physical therapy are all covered. If your doctor expects you will need future medical treatment, that will be covered as well.
- Loss of earning capacity. An accident can be so severe that you are no longer able to do your job. You can recover compensation for lost wages as well as your inability to earn future wages. For example, if you worked as a carpenter and your dominant hand got amputated in a motorcycle accident, your ability to work would likely be reduced. You would receive compensation for these lost wages, depending on the degree that you are unable to do the job that you did before.
- Pain and suffering. This refers to the pain that you go through on a daily basis as you do certain tasks. The more pain and suffering you must deal with, the more compensation you will receive.
- Mental anguish. There is also mental anguish, which is different from pain and suffering. This has to do with the trauma involved in your accident. Perhaps you suffered scarring and feel self-conscious about being out in public, so you isolate yourself. Or maybe you suffered a severe leg injury and can no longer play your favorite sports. You may feel grief or a loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are sometimes awarded to victims for reckless or intentional behavior. Some examples would be racing or drunk driving. The defendant in these cases may be ordered to pay punitive damages to the victim as a punishment.
Factors Involved in Texas Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there may be numerous factors involved in motorcycle crashes. While road, weather, and traffic conditions can all play a role, it is often the reckless driving behaviors of motorists which are ultimately to blame. These include:
- When a driver is going too fast for conditions, it makes it harder to slow down and avoid hitting a motorcycle.
- When a driver is following a motorcycle too closely or engaging in other forms of aggressive driving, it can lead to a rear-end accident.
- Distracted driving. Using cell phones, texting, reading, grooming, eating, talking to passengers, or engaging in other distracting behaviors while driving causes drivers to lose focus of the road, making motorcycle crashes more likely.
- Driving under the influence. Alcohol, drugs, and medications can affect driving. They can cause drowsiness, slow down reaction times, and impair judgment. Plus, driving while under the influence is illegal.
Reach Out to Our Edinburg, TX Motorcycle Accident Attorney
When you suffer serious injuries as the result of another’s actions, the Law Office of Raúl Guajardo, P.L.L.C. is here to help during your recovery. Contact our Edinburg motorcycle accident attorney and request a consultation to discuss your case today.